Friday 2 March 2012

Sound and Music

The piece of music I have used within my teaser trailer is this composition by J.S.Bach



The original song is now copyright free as works created before 1923 are public domain. Although, this is a sound recording which falls under different regulations, as the orchestra is playing the music I would have to obtain permission from them to use their recording. Rather than waiting for a reply from this certain orchestra I have found a royalty free website in which the original music is downloadable.

I believe this certain piece of music fits in well with my piece as it is quite calm and mysterious sounding, but builds up pace and tension which fits in well with the genre of my film and the action on screen. The music is quite eery sounding which fits in with the images on screen and gives the piece a sense of sophistication, adapting to the 'psychological' part of the genre. The music sometimes fits in with the images on screen, the pace often changing when the pace of the images changes, also the notes getting higher as the more eery images come on screen. This music fits in well with the genre, although it is not stereotypically 'scary' music that you would find in a horror film.



The music within this film gave me the inspiration to use a classical piece, as it contrasts to the negative or disturbing images on screen, which is the effect I wanted to go for. The target audience for this particular film is also male, and so I thought my piece being similar would allow my audience to be accurately targeted.

I decided to use bursts of diagetic sound through out my piece to create a sense of tension as the audience never knows when the sound will appear, it is a bit 'jumpy', which conforms to the horror genre. The diagetic sound involved, the male speaking, heavy breathing and running all add to the horror aspect of the trailer. The piece of sound used in the end of the trailer of a music box appears diagetic but it is in fact recorded from another music box, as the sound of the box I was using was too upbeat, I wanted to use something more creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment